Jan 4, 2011

Camden names Lt. Randy Gagne chief of police

(Chief Randy Gagne)


CAMDEN – On Jan. 1, Lt. Randy Gagne officially took over the duties of chief of police for the Camden Police Department. He will be taking over for Chief Phil Roberts, who has been chief for 10 years.
Gagne ahs been with the Camden Police Department for more than 21 years, and has been lieutenant for more than eight. He is also the lead instructor for defensive tactics at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy.
Camden is Gagne’s hometown, and he considers it beneficial to be able to work in the same town where he grew up.
“I think it’s a great thing to work in the community you grew up in because you know the people,” he said. “[Camden] still has the hometown feel and the people are good to deal with.”
Gagne had been second in command at the Camden Police Department, and expressed interest in taking over the chief’s position. After an oral board interview, he was invited back to discuss the position in an open forum and at a select board meeting he was approved to succeed the chief.
“The response that I’ve gotten from the members of the public – people who know me and followed my career – called and expressed congratulations … It’s been very nice. I couldn’t be happier. I appreciate the support of those people and I’ll make sure I do the best job I can in my new position.”

(Sgt. Michael Geary will assume the role of lieutenant this summer)
Sgt. Michael Geary has been appointed to fill Gagne’s position of lieutenant around June of 2011.
“We worked really well together our entire careers,” said Gagne. “He has the most experience as a supervising sergeant.”
Geary became interested in law enforcement after becoming part of a local Explorers program through the sheriff’s office.
“I started riding with them and then went to college. A full time position opened here and I’ve been here ever since,” he said. “I like the challenge. Day to day, nothing is ever repetitive in this job.”

No comments:

Post a Comment