Jan 27, 2011

Fire Marshall warns of kerosene mixed with gasoline in Gorham

Courtesy of Maine Public Safety

GORHAM - The State Fire Marshal's Office is warning the public that kerosene sold at a Gorham convenience store within the past two days was mistakenly contaminated with gasoline.  Fire Marshal John Dean said the mixture could cause an explosion and urged anyone who purchased kerosene from the "Little Mart" at the intersection of Routes 202 and 237 in Gorham since Tuesday at noontime should stop using the product immediately.

The Fire Marshal's Office was notified this afternoon by Gorham Fire Chief Robert Lefebvre and Gorham was using its reverse 911 calling system to notify residents.   Dean said a delivery of gasoline was mistakenly pumped into the kerosene tank on Tuesday and that some 400 gallons  of the kerosene-gasoline mixture have been purchased in the 48 hour period before the mistake was discovered this afternoon .

Dean urged anyone who had purchased kerosene from the "Little Mart" in the past two days to stop using the product .  Dean said any heating devices fueled by the contaminated mixture should be removed from any enclosed living space immediately.

Those who have purchased the contaminated kerosene can return it to the "Little Mart" for a full refund.

The store's phone number is 892-4153.

Anyone with any concerns can also contact Chief Lefebvre at the Gorham Fire Department at 839-5581.

No comments:

Post a Comment